Ronie_iz_BaD Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Setting up a MyBB Forum [TUT]

2 posters

Go down

Setting up a MyBB Forum [TUT] Empty Setting up a MyBB Forum [TUT]

Post by downhill69 Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:52 pm

Ok heres the tutorial. I will show you how to set up a free web host & upload your MyBB forum to it.

Requirements:
FTP Client - ( I recommend SmartFTP) Click here
Web host - (I will be using 000webhost.com for this tutorial)
MyBB 1.4 – Click here

Setting up your Web hosting account & MySQL database.
Ok first off you need to go to http://www.000webhost.com & click ‘Sign up’.
Then once registered click ‘Go to Cpanel’
Here you will see a whole load of options.. You need to scroll down to the Software/Services section & select MySQL from the selection. You will now need to create your MySQL database. Once you’ve done that, your Web hosting account is now set up, ready to host your MyBB Forum.

Uploading files to FTP Client.
Now that you’ve got a Web host set up with your FTP Account you need to log into it via SmartFTP (Or whatever your FTP Client is).
To log into your FTP Account, in the address bar type in the Domain you created. Then in the login bar enter your username, (Which will look something like this, a1234567). And then in the password bar type in the password you made. Leave the port on 21.
To upload your files, simply Unpack the MyBB software you downloaded & paste them into your FTP client. This might take a while to do.
Once all the files have been uploaded, you need to start making some changes. First off, if your using a Web hosting service that has MySQL 4.0x you will need to delete the following code from your ./inc/db_mysql.php file.

Code:
if($success && $this->db_encoding)
        {
            $this->query("SET NAMES '{$this->db_encoding}'");
            if($write_success && count($this->connections) > 1)
            {
                $this->write_query("SET NAMES '{$this->db_encoding}'");
            }
        }
        return $success;

and then

Code:
return " CHARACTER SET {$this->db_encoding} COLLATE {$collation}";

If your MySQL isn’t 4.0x then you don’t need to worry about this. (000webhost.com use MySQL 5.0.81-Community).
Now you need to CHMOD on some files. To do this simply right click the file in your FTP client, Select properties & then permissions.

Code:
./inc/config.php          666
./inc/settings.php        666
./cache/                  777
./cache/themes/            777
./uploads/                777
./uploads/avatars/        777

Ok everything is set up ready for you to install. Go to your forum and type /install/ and the end of your forum directory. You will have to follow these steps as they show.
Welcome page – Click next

License Agreement – hit next

Requirements – Make sure all requirements are in green text such as Installed or Writeable & then hit next. (Note if you get a Writeable error, you will have to check the CHMOD for the file with the error).

SQL database – Here is an example of what you should type in this section

MySQL Improved
Database Name – a1234567_User
Database User - a1234567_User
Database User Password – password
Database Host - mysql14.000webhost.com

Ignore the rest and press next.

Board configuration – Enter whatever you want and press next.

Administrator User – Create your Admin account for your forum

Ok so your forum is now set up. In order to view it, you will have to go to your install directory & create a file called Lock.

You will now be able to view your forum and edit it via the Admin control panel.
If your having any problems then just PM me and I’ll try my best to help you out!

cheers

downhill69
Memberz
Memberz

Back to top Go down

Setting up a MyBB Forum [TUT] Empty Re: Setting up a MyBB Forum [TUT]

Post by ArchoX Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:10 am

thanks Smile

ArchoX
Memberz
Memberz

Back to top Go down